Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sigh

I love my studio teacher dearly, don't get me wrong, but he should not have agreed to cover my mentor's class while on sabbatical. My studio teacher rarely, if ever, teaches full classrooms, and he is having so many problems with a) the workload of grading b) the language used in the textbook, not being a native speaker c) differences in notational systems between his usage and what is being taught d) some personality problems with students.

I am helping him grade. I am fielding one or two phone calls DAILY about this class. They should have just fucking asked ME to teach this course, for all that I don't have the degree. And I know my studio prof could use the money. He just doesn't need the stress load.

He had 18 attacks yesterday. Attacks of what? He said it's never been that many or that bad. At one point, while at the park with his grandson, he almost lost consciousness. He's going to either finish this course or die. ... I suppose I should stop bitching and be more supportive, since his health is in such a fragile state right now. It's just hard because I know I could teach this class and teach it well. ... And I know my prof feels they are underpaying him for the amount of work he's having to do. He didn't say the number, but he thought it really loudly in comparison with the salary of a tenured faculty member, as opposed to his lowly adjunct status.

No comments:

Post a Comment