Saturday, January 9, 2016

Lumbar Pillow

So earlier this week, my partner mused aloud that our couch pillows are really too large for a lumbar pillow, and that we don't actually have anything that'd work. He wound up bunching up a shirt behind his back.

Flash forward to I was itching to knit a few days ago. While browsing the Homegoods section of my favorited patterns on Ravelry, I found this Fair Isle stranding knitting chart. Since I had no experience in stranded knitting, a rectangle seemed like a good way to ease into the process. It was a lot of fun to knit up (it was a 3 day process), and the chart was well written. My one problem with the chart was it had no numbers on it (row numbers, etc.) and I have traditionally done poorly with counting charts. So I wrote out 119 rows worth of numbers. They look like such horrible things as:
23) 4 / 3 / 1 / 1 / 10 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 3

Since the pattern was fully mirrored, I went to the middle number and would work backwards for the second half. I knit this flat, in stockinette. So every other row is purled. I also had at least one row where I had a mistake that I did not correct, and in the second chart, I either doubled a row or skipped a row as my right side of the fabric changed from odds to evens.

Finished measurements are 8"x19" (if flat), and I backed the knitting in fabric (so that my floats didn't get stuck in the stuffing and so stuffing didn't leak) and added a fabric back for the pillow. I then stuffed it with more reused stuffing from the giant duck of "oh gods why is it in my house". Some of my floats weren't long enough, so that while un-pillowed, the knitting bubbled a little. But it's evened out and is apparently quite functional as is.

I like quick projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment